Thursday, January 26, 2006

Documentary filmmakers who would rather be masturbating

A roundup on some our favorite filmmakers who really, really, really love themselves.

Alan Berliner, who popularized the movie-about-people-with-the-same-name-as-me concept with The Sweetest Sound, now has a doc about his lifelong "battle" with insomnia called Wide Awake.
Wide Awake is not a treatise on the scientific underpinnings of insomnia, it is about one subject: Berliner. A neurotic, hyperactive New Yorker in his late 40s, Berliner admits that he worries about almost everything and is incapable of shutting his mind off to sleep. So he stays up until the wee hours clipping newspaper articles, editing his movies and meticulously organizing shelves of color-coded boxes full of things like found family albums and every photograph that has ever been taken of him.


Ross McElwee has a 5-disc dvd collection out and is
currently a professor of Visual and Environmental Studies at Harvard University.
Q: You refer to "the filmmaker." Do you separate yourself from the Ross persona in the film?
McElwee
: It depends on who I'm talking to. I don't know, sometimes in interviews it's a little bit easier for me to do that because although that is Ross up there on the screen, it's not entirely me. And it's a little bit easier for me to talk about the filmmaker character protagonist as he exists in these autobiographical films that I make. But if you were talking to me as a filmmaker and about my career, for instance, or my family, it's a different... I don't talk about myself in the third person. [laughter] I'm not that deranged! When I go to pick up my dry cleaning I definitely talk in the first person singular.


Michael Moore is currently working on two films: Sicko an examination of America's healthcare system and a sequel to Fahrenheit 9/11 set to release in 2007. The Guardian reports on some of Public Relations precautions already being put into place.
At least six of America's largest pharmaceutical firms have issued internal notices to their workforces warning them to be on the lookout for "a scruffy guy in a baseball cap" who asks too many questions.
...
[PR Rep Rachel] Bloom said Moore had been spotted at all six of her business centres nationwide. "Michael Moore is becoming an urban legend."

Danny Schechter, director of Weapons of Mass Deception, is currently serving as the Executive Editor of Media Channel and spends a lot of time downloading music.

Morgan Spurlock is currently producing/directing his second feature-documentary
The Republican War on Science. He's also working on a pilot for the Comedy Central network and the second season of 30 Days will contine on Bravo later this year. He also does a bit of blogging:
It's Sunday morning and I awoke this morning with my entire groin area black and blue and in massive pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home